Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Letting It Go

It has been a fantastic ride for me to be driving it. To let it go, it has been unbearable. Uncle Charlie mentions that if I don't let it go, the maintenance cost for keeping it will increase as well as the reselling value will be low too. It has been giving me a lot of problems the past few weeks, so I guess it's asking me to finally let it go. What am I refering to? My car... the Mazda RX-8.

I had to take it for a ride the night before I sold it off. My dear had a ride with me, being my observer so that I don't over push the car but it continues to serve me well and I'm deeply sad that the time has come for me to eventually let it go.

I don't normally talked about cars on my blog but this will be a rare case. The car has been with me since early 2007 and it's been a wonderful 3 years (I've rounded up the months). Performance wise, it has never let me down. It purrs down the road when I was on a normal ride and it roars to life when I floor the accelerator. On the road, I was challenged several times by smaller cars as well as bigger cars. The most memorable race I had to put up with was with a Honda Civic, it was tough but it was fun. This car was never caught in a speed trap or received any summons during my tenancy, which I felt it was a good thing.

The car was red in colour, came with a full body kit, a sun roof and also a GPS!! Of course, I've never manage to figure out how to work out the GPS as the entire program came in Japanese. This car was re-conditioned and shipped to Malaysia for sales and I bought it.

The RX-8 was available in various models in different markets around the world. Standard models include:
  • 6-speed manual "High Power" with a claimed output of between 170 kW (231 PS; 228 hp) and 184 kW (250 PS; 247 hp) and a 9,000 rpm redline. This model was equivalent to the "Type S" trim in Japan.
  • 5-speed manual "Standard Power" tuned to 141 kW (192 PS; 189 hp) with the redline reduced to 7,500 rpm. This powertrain combination was not available in North America.
  • 4-speed automatic tuned to 141 kW (192 PS; 189 hp) in some markets, while the U.S. automatic is stated to deliver 158 kW (215 PS; 212 hp) .
  • 6-speed automatic (available in the U.S. market after 2006) developing 158 kW (215 PS; 212 hp) and 159 lb·ft (216 N·m) of torque with a redline at 7,500 rpm. This was the revised standard RENESIS, now with two extra intake ports like the high power version.
The one that I was driving was a 4 speed automatic. Although that it states automatic, I can still shift my automatic gears to a 4 gear manual drive. Surprised? Haha! Not only that, it's a four seater and I remembered that my colleagues kept telling me that riding at the back, it's like sitting on an airplane seat!

As of 2006 alone, the RX-8 has won at least 37 international motoring awards including 2003 International Engine of the Year, the 2003 Japanese Car of the Year, the 2004 Singapore Car of the Year, the 2004 U.S. Best Sports Car, and several UK Best Car Awards. Talk about having a job well done for the manufacturer.

Lots of pro's but the con's... Oh my gosh! This baby can burn fuel, spending around RM110+ per week as I travelled rather far from home to work and back. The breaks were squeaking and squealing when I received the car and those car dealers are not doing a single thing about it. Mechanics mentioned that the brakes and wheel alignment were off. I left it as it is and then, the engine starts to eat up the oil lube. It requires more frequent service and handling than any other normal cars. Tyre wear is high because of the wheel spin that I've put on for the car (my fault). Never the less, it is still a fantastic car to drive! I wouldn't have let of this car if I am able to maintain it (which is something rather ridiculous at this time of my life).

I'll let Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear to do the final review. For me, it has been the best ride ever and it shall be one of the most memorable car for myself, I've been humbled to all ends by this one car.

0 comments:

Post a Comment